Spring into Soul Celebrates Black History Month
Black History Month UK is celebrated in the month of October. In 2022, Spring into Soul is committed to promoting and highlighting the important contributions and achievements of members of the Black community via a series of events across the month of October.
In Worthing, the Black, Asian, minorities ethnic and mixed race communities have become more visible in our shops, restaurants, schools, colleges, businesses and hospitals, but little has been done so far to welcome or celebrate their contribution to the town’s cultural and business development. What better way than to plan a celebration of Black History?
The choir has only been back rehearsing and performing for a few months, and is ready to spread the joy of singing Gospel Music.
Siggi Mwasote says; ‘Although Black History Month is not a new concept, it is still fairly low key within our community and our aim is to encourage awareness and to make it an annual celebration. This supports my own creative development as a choir member, I feel a responsibility to share my experience of the gospel choir.’
The choir incorporates many creative and professional people that are ready and willing to participate to make this a successful event.
• Mike Pailthorpe, Senior Lecturer at Northbrook College (Music Dept). Mike has a wealth of Events experience including promoting and running S’koolfest annually at Worthing Pavillion and has many multi-talented music connections.
• Kate Honey of Mint Design is a Worthing resident, who designed for Here & Now magazine, and both builds and maintains several websites including the Spring into Soul site.
• Anthony Dickinson, co-owner of Coast Cafe, Worthing has agreed that we can use this wonderful space for one of our events.
• Vanessa Pailthorpe-Peart is an experienced vocalist, dancer and Zumba instructor, Teaching Assistant and SiS Committee member.
• Anna Weinman is a SiS Committee member and teacher at Davison School, and also works on administration, particularly contact with local charities.
• Kristian Coburn, video producer and Worthing resident is a Video Producer and Event Production manager on major tours including Elton John and George Michael. Kristian will film and edit video and assist with production for our events.
• Vicky Rayner a local singer songwriter has agreed to perform at our final celebration incorporating songs of Black origin like; Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Etta James.
• Siggi Mwasote, the choir director, is also the lead singer in Tru Thoughts-signed, AfroFunk band, Lakuta. She designs and leads the choir workshops.
Spring Into Soul is a Worthing based, not-for-profit, non-denominational community Gospel choir. It has approximately 45 members and is directed by Siggi Mwasote. Membership is very diverse, ethnically, culturally and age-wise, and is open to all regardless of vocal experience, religion, or any other background.
The choir has represented Worthing as finalists at the BBC Gospel Choir of the Year and has helped fundraise for several charities including St Barnabas, Chestnut Tree House, Safe in Sussex and Mencap.
Workshops & Events // Date and times tbc.